Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Features To Be Added

I spent some time this last weekend downloading some other templates and finding out what stuff is out there that would be a good addition to my sheets. One thing I found that I really liked was Common coding components. Currently, with the Movie sheets, the Season sheets and the Episode sheets, I have 3 sets of the same images in many cases that I am using for the template design. Next time I find some spare time, I am going to take a page from Buhric's book and re-factor my code to include a 'Common' folder then have all three of my templates pull from there. This should cut the size of the Movie sheets folder down by 2/3. Worth my time, I think. Obviously this is a coding best practice anyway.  But, as I am fairly new to coding with XSLT, I didn't know it was something that could be done.  It will be done!

Speaking of Buhric, as I was browsing through his template's code, I found a method that allows him to look through the list of studios provided by ThumbGen and produce and returns the image for the first one on the list that HAS an image in the Studios folder. With my sheets now, this is a manual process and it would really cool to implement a version of this for my sheets.  It would save me a whole lot of time.

Another change I would like to make would be to increase the size of the studio graphics in the template. They seem to be a tad too small, in relationship to the other graphics in the media format row.

Another thing that I saw that I really liked was some US_Certification images that were fairly standardized. The ones that I have now are squares that I created that honestly don't look as nice as they could. I borrowed those from an original version of the Cylent Showcase, that wasn't overrun with the Aussie versions since the template I originally started with had the US certs removed. About moving the Cert image to the end of the media format row and put it between the studio and the subtitles box.

I signed up for a MediaFire account so for those of you who wish for a copy of my template, after I finish the above round of changes, I will put them up and drop a link here in the blog. I have a move coming up later this month, but hopefully I will still have time to finish these changes and get the templates up before then.

This evening or tomorrow, I will do a post talking about my Episode and Season sheets, with samples :]

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment